Veteran Nollywood actress Patience Ozokwor, popularly known as Mama G, is an actress that made a name for herself with her impressive skills of playing a wicked mother figure.
She always seemed to top her style and portrayal of her roles that you can tell the difference in her roles. She is talented and is known as an icon in the film industry.
What do we know about her then?
There are 16 facts you didn’t know about Patience Ozokwor.
1. Ozokwor was born 0n March 25th, 1958 in the village of Amaobo, Ngwo, Enugu State, Nigeria.
2. She attended Abimbola Gibson Memorial School in Lagos.
3. Patience was married at age 19.
4. Patience continued to seek an education and took teaching courses at a Women’s Training College. After receiving her teaching degree she taught for 4 years.
5. Ozokwor left teaching to go into broadcasting where she was a radio announcer and newscaster. She worked at the station until it closed down.
6. She opened a school to help young female school dropouts. She taught the girls hair and skin care. She was able to help these young ladies open their own businesses.
7. She was the Assistant to the wife of the Mayor of the local government. She served in this political post for four years.
8. As a result of her husband’s illness and later passing, Patience concentrated on her family while returning to school to learn graphic arts and mass communication for the next few years.
9 In order to earn money to feed her family Patience took odd jobs, which was when she landed a TV commercial.
10. As a result of the commercial, she was asked to do a soap opera entitled Someone Cares, a program about rural women, for the National Television Authority.
11. Patience Ozokwo went on to star in movies playing wife and mother roles, especially playing the antagonist. She appeared inAuthority, Sins of the Father, Apology, Submission, One Dollar, Chicken Magic, Pride of a Woman, Old School, Women In Power, Mother-In-Lawamong others.
12.When asked about her roles, Ozokwor said, “When I play the role of a bad woman, I see myself at that instance as a mirror through which I want society to see and appreciate the fact that it is not good to be bad. This is the reason I do it with so much passion that it becomes almost believable and by extension, I also see such roles as an opportunity to minister to lost and wicked souls that jealousy, hatred, envy and all the likes can only bring one to ruins.”
13. Patience decided to adopt children and so far has adopted 4 children in addition to her 4 biological children, expanding her brood to 8.
14. She won the Best Supporting Actress award at the 10th Africa Movie Academy Awards.
15. Patience was among 100 Nigerians honored by the government to celebrate the amalgamation of the northern and southern protectorates in 2014.
16. Patience is now an evangelist and loves to live a quiet life.