Confidential 24-hour phone line produces ‘significant’ new information as part of inquiry into what the BBC knew about DJ Tim Westwood’s ‘s*x misconduct’ claims

Confidential 24-hour phone line produces ‘significant’ new information as part of inquiry into what the BBC knew about DJ Tim Westwood’s ‘s*x misconduct’ claims

A hotline set up for whistleblowers to reveal what the BBC knew about allegations of se*ual misconduct against DJ Tim Westwood has received ‘significant’ new information.

The confidential 24-hour phone line was opened as part of an inquiry into what the corporation had been told at the time about one of their top radio stars.

Barrister Gemma White KC set it up to ‘expand the ways in which people can come forward’ to report information.

Ms. White announced today the line would close as planned on May 19 after she received a ‘significant amount of important new information’.

The barrister was appointed by the BBC Board last August after an internal review found that the corporation should have further explored a string of sexual assault allegations against the hip-hop DJ.

The inquiry, which has already seen more than 50,000 BBC documents, is expected to publish its findings in the summer.

Ms. White said: ‘We would like to thank everyone who has contacted us via the review phone line.

‘We know that taking the decision to call was not easy for many of you and that speaking to us has taken courage.

‘Your evidence will assist me in my task of independently establishing whether the BBC knew of concerns and responded appropriately to them.

‘If you have been thinking of contributing but have not been sure about whether to do so, please do get in touch now.’

Westwood, who left the BBC in 2013, was interviewed under caution by the Metropolitan Police in March and April this year.

He was spoken to in relation to five se*ual offences alleged to have taken place in London between 1982 and 2016.

The time period covers his career at the BBC and Capital FM.

The 65-year-old, who stepped down from his show on Capital Xtra in April last year, strongly denies the allegations.

A spokesman for the Met told MailOnline in April: ‘Police are investigating five reports relating to allegations of non-recent sexual offences allegedly committed by a man.

‘The offences are alleged to have occurred in London between 1982 and 2016.

‘A 65-year-old man was interviewed under caution on March 15, 2023, and April 4, 2023.’

Last year, a statement from a representative of Westwood read: ‘Tim Westwood strongly denies all allegations of inappropriate behaviour.

‘In a career that has spanned 40 years, there have never been any complaints made against him officially or unofficially.

‘Tim Westwood strongly rejects all allegations of wrongdoing.’

Idowu Babalola Photo
Idowu Babalola

Socially Not Social. IG & Twitter - @Idbragga

All author posts
Related Posts
Harry Potter star, Paul Ritter dies of brain tumour
Harry Potter star, Paul Ritter dies of brain ...

British actor and Harry Potter star, Paul Ritter, has died at the age of 54. His management in a...

I’m a soldier, I’ll stay till end of my tenure – Amaju Pinnick insists he won’t resign from his position as NFF president
I’m a soldier, I’ll stay till end of my t...

Nigeria Football Federation president, Amaju Pinnick has insisted he won’t resign from his position despite calls for him to quit after...

Daddy Freeze Responds To Claims He Charges 100K Before Playing A Song
Daddy Freeze Responds To Claims He Charges 10...

Controversial cool FM OAP, Daddy Freeze has reacted to accusations from Twitter users that he charges music artistes 100k...

Write A Comments